Despite a report on Thursday that stated that the Blue Jays had been granted permission to play their home games at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, it appears as though their request has been denied.
Breaking. The federal government has rejected the Blue Jays plan to play in Toronto for the upcoming season.
— David Cochrane (@CochraneCBC) July 18, 2020
On Thursday, Lisa MacLeod, a Member of Ontario’s Provincial Parliament, said that the government had given the Blue Jays the green light to play in Toronto. Shortly after that, the organization stated that they had not yet been given clearance from the Canadian Federal Government.
Ultimately, the federal government denied the Blue Jays’ request due to the amount of cross-border travel that it would require.
“Unlike preseason training, regular season games would require repeated cross-border travel of Blue Jays players and staff, as well as opponent teams into and out of Canada. Of particular concern, the Toronto Blue Jays would be required to play in locations where the risk of virus transmission remains high,” Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino said.
Toronto is set to be one of the NHL’s two hub cities (along with Edmonton) for …
Author: Cam Lewis / Blue Jays Nation